Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Willow - past and present


On one particular visit to Nauvoo in 2001, I was driving toward the small cabin which had been Joseph and Emma's first home. As I drove down the road which led to the cabin my attention was drawn to a beautiful weeping willow tree growing just behind the Nauvoo House. Its green limber branches swayed in the breeze so beautifully it was like watching a dance that had been choreographed by nature. I sat silently, enjoying the warm breeze as I wondered how long the tree had been there, how many scenes it had come to witness during its life, and what sad or happy events had it felt while it stood in its grace, weeping for those who had passed. I sat mesmerized for a few precious moments, thankful for what I have, grateful to those who had been at this place and had suffered many trials and sacrifices in order to stand up for truth. The willow tree represented more to me than just the beauty of nature. It made me realize how important the preservation of life and truth is to us all, and that we should never forget the many scenes that have brought us to where we are now, so we may remember and learn from all that passes by. Kim Smith (great great great granddaughter, Joseph and Emma)