Sunday, June 7, 2009

"Calm as the summer morning"


On June 24, 1844, the Prophet Joseph Smith with his brother Hyrum, and in company with seventeen other men, left Nauvoo for Carthage, on what would be his final horse ride, to answer charges against him for "riot". When en they arrived at the intersection of Mulholland and Wells, Joseph gazed at the beautiful Temple, then looked toward Nauvoo and the Mississippi River and said, "THIS IS THE LOVELIEST PLACE AND THE BEST PEOPLE UNDER THE HEAVENS, LITTLE DO THEY KNOW THE TRIALS THAT AWAIT THEM."

On June 27, 1844, Joseph and his brother were martyred. His prophetic words, "I am going like a lamb to the slaughter but I AM CALM AS A SUMMER'S MORNING. I have a conscience void of offense towards God, and towards all men. I shall die innocent, and it shall yet be said of me...he was murdered in cold blood," - became a reality.

Sister Howard and I are blessed to serve here where Joseph and Hyrum walked, along with our ancestors. We too, are among some of the "best people under the heavens" and we include you, our loving family and friends. Thanks for sharing our mission with us.